Monday, May 2, 2011

Tornadoes & Turbans

Hello (two or three) readers!

Not that you’ve particularly been wondering, but this past week has been rather busy for Gee and I, what with finals/midterms and the tornadoes that came through the south. Gracie was too far south to really be affected by them, but my county had a tornado watch and warning. This region isn’t exactly known for any sort of natural disasters, so the experience was both novel and a bit frightening.

We were told that there might be bad weather on Wednesday night, and nobody really expected anything to happen. But, I decided to be cautious for the sake of my vanity and my health, so I didn’t shower in the case that a.) it arrived whilst I was trapped in my nuddy pants or b.) it arrived late at night and I had set my just-washed hair in unflattering rollers. So I just did a dry set of pin curls, and climbed into bed around 12:30. Just as I was drifting off, I thought I heard sirens, but I wasn’t sure because it was so quiet. I pulled back the blinds, and lo and behold, right before my very eyes I saw the trees begin to sway and the rain begin to fall. So I went into the hall (I live in a coed dorm) and the girls were all gathered and giddy, as if there were a party and not a column of destructive air coming towards us. I ran back inside, wrapped a scarf around my head (because although pincurls don’t look quite as crazy to modern folk as rollers do, they still look funny), grabbed my laptop and a blanket, and headed to the window-less stairwell, where I proceeded to sit for about an hour while I shamefully tried to duck my unstyled and makeup-less head as handfuls of guys (some quite attractive) passed by.
But I am very thankful that all I lost was a bit of dignity, and not something much more serious, as thousands of people did as a result of the storms.
….
Serious and un-vintage bit over, here’s a quick little tidbit of vintage lest I be accused of turning this into my personal diary:

A couple of weeks ago I went to my school’s library and photographed some pages from vintage women’s magazines. They’ve got TONS of archives, from a variety of magazines, but I only looked at McCall’s and Vogue, from the 30s and 40s (though they’ve got archives as far back as the 1700s! I don’t remember what it was, but it was some fashion magazine!!) I plan on putting some of the pictures up later, as there is tons of style inspiration to be had from these pages, as well as some funny and antiquated advertisements, but for now, here’s a snap of a page from Vogue in 1940 (I forgot to record the exact issue!) where they brag about being responsible for beginning the turban trend. You should be able to click on the images to enlarge them.



Till next time!
- Emily

2 comments:

  1. how INTERESTING to see the various permutations of the turban in each year of the 30s! thanks for sharing!
    Glad you're okay. A tornado hit my hometown up here in Canada back in the 1980s--a scary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was interesting too, especially since before reading this I didn't really think of turbans in the 30s, I always associated them with the 40s!

    ReplyDelete