Monday, July 11, 2011

Artist Feature: Charles Dana Gibson

Charles Dana Gibson was an illustrator whose work was prominent from the 1880s to the end of WWI. I love his images for their humor, wry wit, and aesthetic loveliness (I do love the Gibson Girl look!), and I hope you enjoy them too!








Both funny and a bit morbid, if you ask me. He would repeat this idea of female power (abuse of power, he seemed to think) in other images.





Again with the cruel ladies thing! This one was humorously titled "The Weaker Sex".



This one reminds me of Lady Mary Crawley from Downton Abbey! Doesn't it look like her?

I like this and it makes me chuckle but I feel so bad for that poor pug, it looks so sad!



"The Crush" 
- Emily

1 comment:

  1. There's a large volume of Gibson illustrations in the library at my parents' house that I used to go through as a child, wishing I could be as elegant as all the Gibson Girls! I love the last one--it looks like his book is upside down!

    ReplyDelete