Friday, July 1, 2011

Euphonic Earworms: The Man I Love & Miss Hannah

Here are two peppy songs that I've been listening to a lot recently, especially as a wake-me-up in the morning while I get dressed and ready for the day. The past week or so I've been in a 20s/early 30s mood, music wise.  The vocals in both songs are very dating to that era's style of male crooners, and I love it!
Also, I think its interesting how in "The Man I Love", the singer is male - I feel like it's way more common/accepted to see girls singing songs with lyrics originally written for a male than it is to see a man singing lyrics written for a girl. Anyway, I really like the lyrics. I also like that this version is upbeat, whereas other versions I've heard (Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, Bille Holiday - there are tons of covers!) are slow and ballad-like. Not that that's bad, it's just in this case, I happen to like the uptempo one best!

The Man I Love - Sam Lanin & His Orchestra, vocals by Irving Kaufman.

And this one especially makes me want to dance! (Click on the picture below to go to the YouTube page, for some reason Blogger wouldn't let me insert this one as a video.)

Miss Hannah - Isham Jones  & His Orchestra, vocals by Eddie Stone.
- Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment