Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Euphonic Earworms: I Won't Dance, in 1935 & 1952

Here are three different versions of "I Won't Dance", composed by the famous Jerome Kern and penned by Hammerstein and Harbach.
The first two are from Roberta (1935), which Ginger and Fred starred in alongside Irene Dunne and Randolph Scott. Any Fred and Ginger fan has probably already seen these scenes before, but hey, there's no such thing as too much Fred & Ginger!


And here's the triumphant finale, with a high-energy dance by both Fred and Ginger to a reprise of the "I Won't Dance" theme.


Finally, the version of "I Won't Dance" from the 1952 adaption of Roberta, renamed Lovely to Look At, here featuring the singing and dancing of real-life husband and wife Marge and Gower Champion. I don't like the musical arrangement or the singing of this duo as much as the Fred & Ginger version, but the dance part is great! I love how they incorporated the environment/the mannequins, the number is so playful!

- Emily

1 comment:

  1. Yay! One of my favorite songs! And, no, there's no such thing as too much Fred & Ginger.

    ReplyDelete